For first year freshmen here at SCSU I think that being placed in a learning community, which consists of having two classes with the same group of students, is a very good idea. I think it really helps students get acquainted with one another and open up more. That's what it did for me at least. I became closer with my classmates in INQ class because we all had the same feelings and struggles with our Anthropology class. So we all kind of connected in that way and then our friendships just stemmed from there. I feel very comfortable asking for help on assignments or asking questions about topics discussed in class.
What I'm going to miss about seeing this same group of students in two classes back to back twice a week is their sense of humor and all the different personalities our group was made up of. I feel like everyone played a different role and brought a lot to the group. Krista, for example, I always remember as the nice, happy one, who always brings a laugh to the class. And Merril always had really good ideas and intelligent comments about things. Everyone brought a unique and fun quality that I am going to miss.
I will also miss just being able to talk to everyone in inquiry about what was do next class in Anthropology or if we understood what our next assignment was. It was very helpful and actually a lot of fun. It gave us a well-rounded group of students to become friends with and work together to get through our first semester as first year freshmen. I definitley think that SCSU should keep this first year experience for future students.

No comments:
Post a Comment